This is a segmented bar chart showing various lifestyle categories. Asian Americans living in the US were asked to give their opinions of comparing which lifestyle aspects were better in the US and which were better in their country of origin. These lifestyle categories included opportunity to get ahead, freedom to express political views, treatment of the poor, conditions for raising children, freedom to practice religion, moral values of society, and strength of family ties.
The two lifestyle aspects that Asian Americans found were better in their country of origin were strongest in the moral values of society category and the strenght of family ties. In fact, for strenght of family ties, 56 percent of respondents said this lifestyle aspects was better in their country of origin than it was in the U.S. Only 14 percent of respondents said the strength of family ties was stronger in the U.S.
This 56 percent of respondents represents an outlier relative to the other percentages of respondents that claim a lifestyle category was better in their country of origin. 5 out of the 7 lifestyle categories shown illustrate Asian Americans as having a better life in the U.S.
Note also that each category should add up to 100%, since this is a segmented by chart by percentage. If you look at the first category for opportunity to get ahead, we have 5% + 73% + 18% = 96%. What happened to the other 4%?
Well, as the bottom of the graphic explains, the other 4% are "Don't know/Refused" responses and are therefore not shown. This percentage varies from category to category and is the focus for part (B) of the question above.
Part (A) talks about the arithmetic mean of the percentage of respondents claiming life was better in their country of origin. Of the two shades of seagreen, the darker shade is the area that part (A) focuses on. Notice there are 7 total categories and one of them - the strength of family ties - represents the outlier category. Your job here is to compare the arithmetic mean of these percentages with this outlier category versus the same arithmetic mean but without the outlier category.
source: GMAT Pill
Like this GMAT question? Share and challenge your friends!
GMATTM is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission CouncilTM. The Graduate Management Admission CouncilTM does not endorse, nor is it affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this web site.